Want To Know More? Contact Me

Sunday, December 27, 2009

The Internet is a Resource


Why do I like handmade paper so much? I think it's because of the character it holds in each unique sheet. I love texture, and I love things that are unusual. I knew when I started researching paper making that I wanted my paper to have a special feel. As much as I enjoy a clean, white, crisp, new sheet of paper, I wanted to make something that was interesting to touch.

The Internet is the only place I know of to find "interesting". You Tube is full of videos on papermaking and that's where I spent most of my research. Isn't it ironic that I love book, but I hate to read. I love the touch of paper, but my research is via an electronic method.

Paper is made of fiber, and we can find fiber in many products. The most interesting paper making video involved the use of elephant dung to make paper. Talk about interesting to touch. I'm positive that I'll never use any dung to make paper, but the concept of breaking down the fiber and turning it into a beautiful sheet of paper facinates me.

Remember, I'm all about the simple part of life. To my delight, I found a very simple process to making paper--scraps of recycle paper, water, a blender to make pulp, a plastic screen and wood frame, and massive amounts of water.

I made my first sheet of paper from recycled paper found in my office. And then I became bored... so it was back to the computer and more research.

Plant products are another source of fiber. My yard is full of daffodils, day lilies and tulips in the Spring, so again, I had an abundance of product to use. My first sheet of paper made from day lilies smelled like fresh hay from the field. After about a week, the hay smell disappeared. The paper held a unique color of light green with tiny pieces of the day lily leaves weaving through the paper.

I use baking soda to break down plant fiber. I hate the idea of using chemicals. Sometimes I've had to cook the plant fiber on the stove for six hours to break it down, but I'm pleased with myself for using natural products instead of anything toxic.

No comments:

Post a Comment