Want To Know More? Contact Me

Sunday, February 6, 2011

February Projects

It's February. I cannot believe January is over. I'm not complaining. The quicker Spring arrives, the happier I will be. I'm anxious to work in the yard and in the garden. My tulips and day lilies will harvest and I'll be able to use the greens to make some much needed organic paper.

For now, I'm working in the house on journal creation. This weekend, I created four new books. The saying "practice makes perfect" is my motto for this month. I'm not perfect, but the more books I create, the easier it becomes. I like what I am producing right now. Each book has five to six signatures with the outer signature containing a piece of handmade paper for 100 to 120 writing surface per book.


This blue on blue mathematical cover was fun to create. It contains six signatures bound with a Coptic stitch. The first and fifth holes are secured on the cover with a flat rivet to add another interest point.







You can see the handmade paper. It adds a depth of character to the book and it is a solid writing surface, thanks to hours of pressing each sheet by hand with a warm iron.

Inside cover

Eclectic front cover

Coptic Stitch

Scrapbook keys make a unique front cover


This whimsical key book was fun to make. I found a packet of 12 keys that are flat on one side, making it very easy to glue to the front cover. I used the key hole as part of the latch system. A pocket on the inside cover is a convenient way to hold note cards, stamps, or small pieces of keepsake paper.



Adding a front or back pocket to the book cover adds interest and is a great place to store small keepsakes.

I found this paper interesting. It is the back inside cover of this book




 This is a remake journal. I made it once, last fall. I felt my stitches weren't strong enough so I took it apart and restitched it. I added an envelop on the back cover and added five sheets of handmade paper to each signature. The book is strong and holds more interest.

I'm so pleased that January is gone, but our promised New Year's resolution to be creative each weekend remains alive. My skill is improving and I'm staying motivated and creative. I have seven great journals to show for my hard work. My only challenge is to juggle making six dozen Valentines Day cookies  next weekend and at least one new book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment