Want To Know More? Contact Me

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Measure Once, Cut Twice

Ok, we all know the saying is "Measure twice, cut once", but I've never been one to follow directions. I can remember watching my dad, who was a carpenter by trade sit and ponder a project. He would measure, then ponder, measure then record, measure then calculate and measure again before he'd cut. Patience was not among the virtues that are within my bag of assets when I was born, so I tend to measure once in my attempt to rush through life and end up cutting twice.

Over the weekend, I made paper. My frame has seen it's better day and is now in three pieces instead of one solid whole. I grabbed an old picture frame and pulled 30 sheets of paper on Friday evening. Saturday, when the paper had dried and I was ready to make a book, I began putting my signatures together, only to find have a light bulb flash in my head. Paper is 8 1/2 by 11 inches. The picture frame is 8 by 10 inches.

Unfortunately, I spent about an hour cutting 1/2 inch off of each side and 1/4 inch off of the top of my white signatures before I could begin making this week's journal.


This week, I created the outer covering for the journal by using grocery bag paper (brown paper) and paint.

Take a sheet of brown paper


Crumple in a tight ball


Fill a small bowl with water and 1 t. vinegar


Soak the paper ball in vinegar water for 5 minutes

Squeeze out excess water

Carefully unwrap paper and lay flat

Choose three-five shade of acrylic paint

Using a sponge, layer the paint (start with the darkest color)

Allow the paint to dry between coats

Once paint is dry add one to two coats of matte medium to seal

Here is the finished journal I made using the above process to cover the outside of the journal.
This journal has a subtle travel theme. 

The front and back cover features a pocket to hold precious memories.
Handmade paper introduces each of the five signatures giving this book over 100 writing surfaces.

A Coptic Stitch compliments the handmade paper and binds the journal.
A "vacation" tag with a ribbon laced through embellishes the front and acts as an anchor to hold the book closed.

Embellishment in the bottom corner

The embellishment enhances the travel theme. You can see the various shades of the paper. The matte medium seals the paint and gives the ordinary brown bag and look of faux leather.





No comments:

Post a Comment