Want To Know More? Contact Me

Saturday, April 23, 2011

A Very Special Customer

I made two books this weekend for a very special customer; my husband, Wade. Wade is a very creative person who loves to dabble in all forms of art. Years ago, he thought he might be interested in the art of paper making so I purchased a paper making kit for him, as a gift. Unfortunately, his time wasn't his own and he didn't have the opportunity to use the kit. I look back at that memory fondly because my gift to him became my gift to me. The kit I bought Wade is the kit I still use, today.

One of the creative art forms Wade enjoys is calligraphy. He tried to teach me, but I have a heavy hand and little patience. So, I've left gave up calligraphy and stayed with paper making.

Wade asked me to make a Coptic Stitch book so that he could calligraphy favorite quotes in a  special book.

We went to JoAnn Fabrics today to select special paper. Once we arrived home, Wade selected his choice of the handmade paper that would bind the parchment signatures.

I just finished two books and couldn't wait to show them off.

A black and white daisy pattern is used for this cover, with a black rain drop for the inside cover. The black/gray handmade paper that I made a few weeks ago is used with each signature.

Close up of the black and white daisy paper.


The medallion used to close the booklet is actually from the jewelry making aisle from Michaels. It reminded us of a butterfly and we thought it would make an interesting accessory to hold the book closed.

Looking at the pages of parchment and handmade paper


Inside cover of the black and white daisy book.



This rose color paper is paired with the same rain drop black and a light pink handmade paper.


Inside cover


The back cover has a small envelop pocket that matches the cover paper.


There are five signatures of parchment and handmade paper. Wade is going to calligraphy only the front sheet and not double sided in case the calligraphy from the front shows through to the back side. There are 80 pages of writing surfaces, but using the front only will give him 40 writing surfaces.


 The finished book also uses a trinket used in jewelry making, along with fine white ribbon.


I can't wait for Wade to begin writing in his new books. You can bet that I will be posting these special books, again, to show off his creative talent, soon. 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like they are special books going to a special person. :)

    ReplyDelete